Combat group Dur Demarion transforms Nashville’s Elmington Park

Etta Petersen // Contributing writer

Each Sunday at noon, a group of combatants take over Nashville’s Elmington Park and battles until sundown. These fighters are part of a combat group called Dur Demarion.

Dur Demarion is a faction within the national fighting organization Belegarth. Belgarth shouldn’t be confused with LARPing: though both involve fighting and roleplaying, LARPing involves the use of magic and spells during battle, while Belegarth does not.

Charlie Nelson (left) and Keith Cameron (right) clash on the field. (Photo by Etta Petersen)

Yvonne Agostinho, who also goes by her character name Ora, is Dur Demarion’s lore master, or historian. She got her daughter involved with the organization as soon as she was born.

“The instant she was released from the hospital, I asked my husband, ‘Want to go to the field?’ Agostinho said. “We showed her off.”

Despite the serious atmosphere on the battlefield, the sidelines are filled with children and spectators enjoying the scene. The fighters welcome anyone interested, whether it’s just to chat or swing a sword.

“You should definitely come out and learn,” said Maylon Hill, who has been involved with Dur Demarion for 16 years. On the field, Hill plays a Belegarthian Knight named Zwolf.

“It’s a great outlet,” said Hill. “It’s the best stress relief I’ve ever had.”

Dur Demarion welcomes all ages to come out and join the battle.

“It’s great for young people,” Agostinho said. “They aren’t sitting inside rolling dice at a table. They’re outside getting fresh air.”

John Rogers retires to the sidelines after battle. (Photo by Etta Petersen)

Member Caroline Garrett even said she owes her life to Dur Demarion because she was helped out of an abusive relationship by a fellow fighter.

Because Dur Demarion is such a unique organization, it can be met with some confusion.

“We get a bad rep from people who don’t understand,” Agostinho said. “They just see a bunch of people hitting each other with sticks.”

If someone is interested in understanding Dur Demarion’s fighting techniques, they are welcome to come out to the park on Sundays to try out the gear.

“We have tons of loaner equipment,” said Nathan Larkin, a three-year fighter who also goes by his character name Vander. “As long as you swing a weapon once, you’ll want to come back.”

And one need not worry about safety on the field. Each piece of equipment involved with Dur Demarion has specific guidelines it must meet before someone is allowed to use it on the battleground.

“It doesn’t matter how pretty your sword is,” Larkin said. “I’m not going to let you hit me with something that’s not safe.”

Left to right: Brian Partin (left) and Michael Briley (middle) face each other in battle while Keith Cameron closes in. (Photo by Etta Petersen)

It’s also recommended that those interested wait to invest in equipment for their character, as clothing and weapons can run anywhere from $20 to $100.

“When I buy personal-made stuff, I have to consider it a dress outfit,” Larkin said.

Dur Demarion meets and fights from noon until dark. The organization is free and all are welcome, whether it be to watch, talk or de-stress by smacking someone with a sword.

The group’s one requirement: Come with an open mind.

For more community events, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Life

To contact Lifestyles Editor Rhiannon Gilbert, email lifestyles@mtusidelines.com