7 MTSU majors you should know

Story by Wes Dunbar // Contributing Writer

“What is your major?”

Every college student hears this question ad nauseam for the first part of their adult life. Some may reply with “business,” while others might say “engineering.” Some majors are more common than others, but every once in a while you hear about the oddballs; the “out-in-left-field” majors. Even at MTSU there are a few unique areas of study that are either wildly specific, truly random or generally unknown, and we’ve compiled them in a list for you.

1. Industrial/Organizational Psychology, B.S.

First up to bat is this gem from the area of Psychology. Industrial/Organizational Psychology primarily deals with the human resource division of the workplace. The focus of this discipline is hiring, firing, training and the general betterment of the workplace. In other words, you’re essentially training to be Toby from “The Office.” This major starts out fairly basic, with students taking mostly general education courses. As prospective human resource representatives progress through school, they can expect to amp up the amount of psychology classes, which you may need if your coworkers are anything like Toby’s.

1. University Studies, B.Unv.S

This one truly sounds awesome. The best description I can give you is that University Studies majors essentially get to take whatever classes they want. No joke. There are, however, some requirements: students must take 41 general education requirement hours and nine upper-division level courses. Being in a major that gives students so much control, it would be easy to see why the power might go to their head. Afterall, who doesn’t want to hand pick their classes and future?

1. Organizational Communication, B.S.

Have you ever thrown a party, organized a charity event or sent out an important email? If you answered yes to any of these, then you may already have an interest in organizational communications. Essentially, students in this major can expect to direct large groups of people on a regular basis. Be it for profit or nonprofit, these students begin their college careers by taking several English and communication courses, eventually moving on to more major-specific classes by their sophomore year. As a senior, you could find yourself organizing the next big music festival or doing fundraising for your favorite nonprofit group.

1. International Relations, B.S.

This is a fairly straightforward name for a complex major. International Relations majors can do anything from becoming a translator, working for a news outlet or being an ambassador for the United States. That’s right, you can be the next Claire Underwood and help bring U.S. diplomacy to other nations around the world. Just make sure along the way you don’t forget the little people here at MTSU.

1. Entrepreneurship, B.B.A.

“Sell me this pen”