MTSU falls to Charlotte in second game of series

Photo by Meagan White // Staff Photographer

The Charlotte 49ers (16-20, 6-8 C-USA) were able to fend off a Middle Tennessee (15-20, 3-11 C-USA) comeback attempt for their first victory of the weekend series, pulling out an 8-4 win Saturday night at Reese Smith Jr. Field.

The 49ers jumped out to a hot start in the beginning of the game, scoring two quick runs in the top of the first inning.

MTSU pitcher Tyler Troutt received his eighth start of the season and struggled early, giving up 10 hits and six runs through the first three innings of the contest.

Blue Raider designated hitter A.J. Spencer sparked the Blue Raiders with a home run in the fourth inning. Spencer finished 2-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored.

In the top of the seventh, MTSU’s Riley Delgado came up huge for the Blue Raiders, connecting on a single to right field to bring in Kaleb King and Spencer.

With Delgado’s clutch at bat, the Blue Raiders had cut the 49ers’ lead to 6-4 in the late stages of the game.

The Blue Raider comeback attempt was halted at that point, though, as Charlotte sealed the victory in the top of the eighth. MTSU allowed two hits in the inning, one coming from Drew Ober, which propelled the 49ers to the 8-4 victory.

The Blue Raiders have slipped in the last few weeks, going 2-7 in their last nine games. MTSU will look to get back in the win column Sunday in the series finale against Charlotte.

First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. CT at Reese Smith Jr. Field, with Jake Wyrick being the projected starting pitcher for the Blue Raiders.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or follow him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.