MTSU gives community option of renewing drivers licenses on campus

Photo courtesy of MTSU News 

MTSU now gives students, faculty and staff, in addition to the local community, the opportunity to renew or replace a Tennessee driver license or state identification card.

Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security representatives joined MTSU officials on Tuesday to officially unveil and raise public awareness about the driver license self-service kiosk installed earlier on campus.

Located inside Blue Print Solutions on the first floor of the Student Union Building at 1768 MTSU Blvd., the kiosk is open to the general public, as well as students and staff. The kiosk is accessible from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“We appreciate MTSU giving us the opportunity to provide this service on campus,” said Commissioner Bill Gibbons. “It will be a real convenience for those who attend or teach classes here on campus, and will help us reduce wait times at our Murfreesboro area driver services centers.”

The kiosk takes a photo and uses facial verification to verify the image on record. It also prints an interim license, which is valid for 20 days, while the applicant waits for the new license or ID card to be mailed to his or her home.

Although the kiosk has been on campus since 2014, it only averages about 900 transactions annually, a number the state hopes to increase.

Ed Arning, director of MTSU printing services, said the kiosk complements the services already provided by Blue Print Solutions, which offers a wide range of graphic arts-related production services.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com