MTSU Alumni Association announces 2016-17 award recipients

Story by Steve Barnum // Contributing Writer | Photos courtesy of MTSU News and Media Relations

The MTSU Alumni Association has announced this year’s alumni award recipients who will be honored for their accomplishments at the Distinguished Alumni Awards Reception during Homecoming Week.

The 2016-17 alumni honorees are Jeff Creek, Bobbie Jo Meredith, Dan Pfeifer, Helen Campbell, Cynthia Chappell, and Elizabeth “Libby” Green. According to a recent press release, the MTSU Alumni Association has been recognizing exceptional alumni since 1960.

Alumnus Jeff Creek has been chosen to receive the Distinguished Alumni Award, the Alumni Association’s highest honor. Jeff Creek is a global expert in petroleum chemistry who retired this year from the Chevron Energy Technology Company after 38 years with the company. During his time at Chevron, Creek was given the Chevron Fellow award, and in September he is expected to receive the Projects, Facilities and Construction Award at the Society of Petroleum Engineers Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition in the United Arab Emirates’ Dubai World Trade Center.

Jeff Creek- Distinguished Alumni Award 2016-17
Jeff Creek has been chosen by MTSU’s Alumni Association as this year’s recipient of the Distinguished Alumni Award.

The Young Alumnus Award will be given to Bobbie Jo Meredith. Meredith currently works with Schneider Electric while managing a global product portfolio between the United States, India, Canada and France. She also volunteers to recruit young women into STEM professions.

Four MTSU alumni will receive the True Blue Citations of Distinction award for Achievement in Education, Service to the University and Service to the Community.

Dan Pfeifer will be given the Achievement in Education award for current or retired MTSU faculty. Pfeifer has been with MTSU in the Department of Recording Industry for 25 years. Since the start of the Recording Industry program, Pfeifer has taught numerous undergraduate and graduate classes, and is scheduled to begin teaching a new master’s of fine arts course this spring.

Helen Campbell is receiving the Achievement in Education award for work outside of the university. During her career, Campbell has served four years as an assistant principal and two years as a principal. She has been notably recognized for creating a learning initiative that both promotes healthy competition and rewarding positive behavior. Campbell’s “House” program  is Harry Potter based and has been raising morale in local schools, according to the press release.

The Service to the University award is being given to Cynthia Chappell for her work with the Houston, Texas, MTSU alumni chapter. As founder of the chapter, Chappell has helped recruit new MTSU students and assist students move to Houston following graduation.

Elizabeth “Libby” Green will be receiving the Service to the Community award. She has recently retired from human resources at Pinnacle Bank and was the previous interim director of Main Street Murfreesboro. Green is being honored due to her years of volunteer work including serving on the Oaklands Association board of trustees, building homes for Habitat for Humanity, and participating on Rutherford County Heart Ball committees.

All alumni aware honorees will be awarded on Friday, Oct. 14 at 4 p.m. in the Sam H. Ingram Building during the Distinguished Alumni Awards Reception. Alumni award recipients will also be recognized at the MTSU Homecoming Parade and during the Blue Raiders homecoming game against Western Kentucky University.

The Distinguished Alumni Awards Reception is open to the public. To attend, guests can RSVP by registering here.

For more news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at@Sidelines_News.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.