Preds fall in St. Louis, lose first game of the postseason

Photo courtesy of predators.nhl.com

Story by Kaitlin Reeves / Contributing Writer

The Nashville Predators five-game postseason winning streak was snapped Friday, as they lost 3-2 against the St. Louis Blues at the Scottrade Center for Game 2 of the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The first period began as a power struggle between the teams. The Predators struck first with a goal scored by James Neal at the 7:49 mark. Neal was assisted by Colton Sissons and Ryan Ellis.

The struggle immediately began once again, but came to a grinding halt when Vernon Fiddler of the Predators committed a kneeing penalty against Blues’ Colton Parayko. Fiddler also received a game misconduct call, sending him to the locker room for the remainder of the period.

These penalties forced the Preds to be short a player for five minutes, and eventually gave St. Louis’ Vladimir Tarasenko the room to get off a wrist shot and score the first goal of the game for the Blues.

No goals were scored in the second period, and only one penalty was drawn. The Blues’ outshot the Predators by a narrow margin of 8-6 in the period.

The Predators were determined to get back control of the game, and proceeded to prove it with Ellis’ unassisted slap shot goal at the 3:07 mark of the third period to make it 2-1.

Shortly after, a penalty was called against Filip Forsberg of the Predators for throwing his stick. This penalty gave the Blues’ the momentum to score.

Eight seconds after the penalty expired, Jori Lehtera put it to use. At the 7:39 mark, Lehtera, assisted by Berglund and Parayko, netted the Blues’ second goal.

The Blue’s would keep their momentum going as Tarasenko would tack on the game-winning goal for the St. Louis Blues at the 16:09 mark of the period. Tarasenko was assisted by Joel Edmundson and Jaden Schwartz.

The Nashville Predators’ game was determined by the amount of time they spent in the penalty box. Having six penalties to the Blues’ one killed their momentum and gave the Blues’ the extra room and opportunities they needed to tie the series 1-1.

What’s next?

The Nashville Predators return home to play Game 3 in Nashville at Bridgestone Arena on Sunday, April 30 at 2 p.m. CST.

To contact Sports Editor Tyler Lamb (@Tlamb35), email sports@mtsusidelines.com