Bash the Rec provides night of food, entertainment

Photo and story by Kashima Allen / Contributing Writer

Friday night students came together to participate in 2017’s Bash the Rec Connection Point event in front of the Campus Recreational Center.

Bash the Rec featured games, food, giveaways, a performance by the Band of Blue and music from the DJs of “Tha Remix,” the Friday morning radio show at WMTS. 

Junior Blake Butler said that he goes to Bash the Rec every year simply for the experience.

“Since my freshman year, I’ve come to Bash the Rec, every single year,” said Butler. “The music has always gotten the crowd hype. It’s like one big party where everyone is having a great time with their friends. It’s definitely a stress reliever from school, and I’ve gotten lots of T-shirts from coming, too.”

The lawn in front of “the Rec” was packed with smiling faces and volunteers lending a helping hand.

Freshman Gabby Smith was especially happy she made the choice to attend the event.

“Being a shy person, it is hard to make friends,” Smith said. “Since school has started, I only go to class, work and stay in my room. But tonight, I’ve met some pretty cool people that I hope I can create memories with. The DJ is playing a little bit of everything, and I’m having a great time.”

Bash the Rec will return as a Connection Point event again next September.