Creative Movements hosts fashion show at Bradley Academy Museum

Story and photos by Laklyn May / Contributing Writer

On Friday night, Creative Movements hosted a fashion show at the Bradley Academy Museum. The event included not only unique fashion, but art, poetry, music and dancing.

Creative Movements is a team of diverse artists who come together to create and bring awareness to various forms of art. The team consists of many artists, many of whom are Middle Tennessee State University students or alumni.

“We do events in a different way, allowing people to experience the art and why they’re here,” said Vonchelle Stembridge, one of the co-creators of Creative Movements.

“This was a new experience for me,” said Sandra Williams, a Creative Movements member and MTSU alumna. “I mainly just do painting and sketching, but this was the first time I created clothes.”

Designer Armani Ross, along with Stembridge and other members of Creative Movements, gathered to show off their collections. Many of the models, too, had roots in the MTSU community. 

“It’s really opened up doors for me,” said model Mia Nicole, a recent MTSU graduate with a degree in business.

In addition to handmade apparel, many other forms of art were on display as well.  Spoken word poets such as Darius Wattley, otherwise known as Wattley the Poet, shared work with the audience. Musicians, including drummer Miles Creed, performed crowd-energizing sets. Artist Mary Watkins painted live onstage. Barber Josh House even gave one of his models, Keenon Fox, a haircut in front of the audience.

During the show the Creative Movements team announced that they would be having another event on October 13 in the Civic Plaza.