FUTURO hosts ‘Take It Despacito’ dance party for students

Photo by Gerardo Palacios / MTSU Sidelines

Story by Nick Jones / Contributing Writer

Following last week’s Hispanic Culture Night, FUTURO of MTSU continued its celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month with “Take it Despacito” on Tuesday night, a dance party in the Tom Jackson Building.

The event provided students the opportunity to dance to Hispanic music. Traditional Hispanic dances like bachata, cumbia and merengue were joyfully performed by MTSU students at the event.

“Despacito was a lot of fun. I will admit, it was kind of dead until these four people started a line dance,” said sophomore Siboney Hernandez. “I would say that started off the dance party. You can quote me on that, but not my dance skills.”

FUTURO gives students an opportunity to experience different cultural activities and traditions. The organization has an extensive schedule for October for Hispanic Heritage Month. Their next event, a panel discussion called “Living as Latino in Tennessee,” will be held on Thursday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in room 224 of the Student Union Building.

More information on FUTURO’s schedule of events for Hispanic Heritage Month and ways to participate in the organization can be found here.