Softball: Harris leads offensive onslaught in 8-2 victory over Governors

Photo by David Chamberlain / MTSU Sidelines

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders continued their recent hot streak with an 8-2 win over the Austin Peay Governors on Wednesday in Clarksville, Tennessee.

The MTSU offense was firing on all cylinders, as they saw six players record multiple hits. The star of the game was senior Morgan Harris, who went 3-3 at the plate with four RBIs.

The Blue Raiders jumped out to a 5-0 lead over the first three innings, highlighted by sophomore Lexi Cushing‘s two-run blast in the top of the third inning. The Governors put a run on the board in the bottom of the third thanks to a home run from Kacy Acree, but MT answered with two more runs in the fourth to take their biggest lead of the game at 7-1.

When all was said and done, the Blue Raiders returned to Murfreesboro with an 8-2 win.

Harris leads offensive onslaught in win

With eight runs on 15 hits, the Blue Raiders captured their second consecutive win over an in-state opponent this week.

Harris led the attack with three hits of her own, and she also drove in four of the eight runs.

She got the scoring started in the first when her single scored Summer Burgess to take an early lead. She added RBIs in the third and fourth innings to help secure the victory.

Overall, six players recorded multiple hits in the winning effort.

Pitching consistency drives Blue Raiders forward

Freshman Amber Baldwin got the start in the circle for the Blue Raiders, and gave them three solid innings of two-run ball.

She managed to limit any offense the Governors got and allowed the offense to keep their bats hot.

Redshirt senior Pattie Ruth Taylor earned the win by tossing four innings of shutout ball while only allowing three hits and striking out two. It is her second win of the season.

What’s next?

The Blue Raiders will hit the road and travel to Miami, Florida, to take on the Florida International Panthers in a three-game set this weekend. They will play a doubleheader on Saturday, beginning at 3 p.m.

For more sports stories, follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter and Periscope at @Sidelines_Sport