Walk a Mile in Their Shoes….six feet apart

Story by Megan Tracy / Contributing Writer

Photo courtesy of Blue Raider Athletics

Every year, the June Anderson Center for Women and Non-traditional Students hosts the Walk a Mile in Their Shoes event to promote awareness for dating and domestic violence. This year, they’re doing it a little bit differently.

JAC Director Maigan Wipfli encourages students to participate while still respecting social distancing by posting photos or videos this week of themselves walking while using the #WalkAMileMT hashtag.

View this post on Instagram

⭐️We hope everyone is enjoying Greek week and Walk A Mile, and since we are so excited we have an announcement!! ⭐️ We have created a contest for all of our IFC Chapters and we are excited!!!! Here’s the run down: 1.) Gather pictures of your chapter members walking a mile in their letters (selfie) 2.) create a photo collage of everyone 3.) Tag each person from your chapter in the post 4.) make sure you properly follow the instructions on the Walk-A-Mile flyer 5). And post! Each picture with the tag individual will be counted as one point, you get one entry and it has to be on the chapters Instagram. Who ever has the most participation will win a custom cooler paid for by the IFC along with a custom Trophy made by our Vp of Logistics!!! All of these entries are due Friday by 8pm!!! Good luck and Go raise awareness for #walkamileMT . . . . . #mtsu #mtsufsl #mtsu20 #mtsu21 #mtsu22 #mtsu23 #mtsu24 #mtsu2024 #walkamilemt

A post shared by MTSU IFC (@ifcmtsu) on

Wipfli says, “A mile is not necessary! We would love for people to use @mtsu, @ifcmtsu and @mtsujac (when they post).”

Wipfli also recommends posting domestic violence statistics or resources along with the photos and videos.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-7kVNwJQpU/

According to the National Coalation Against Domestic Violence, 40 percent of Tennessee women and 32 percent of Tennessee men experience intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner rape and/or intimate partner stalking in their lifetimes.

If you or someone you know is experiencing problems with domestic violence, you can contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233, by texting LOVEIS to 22522 or by logging onto The Hotline.

To contact News Editor Savannah Meade, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Teachers adapt to remote learning, one hurdle at a time
Next A (not so secret) Handshake for students that leads the way to employment