A Day in Her Life

Story by Alicia Patton

Glove’s? Check. Mask? Check. Oh, and don’t forget the face shield! 

Those are just some of the few thoughts that run through Deja Thompson’s mind as she heads to work every morning. Work isn’t in an office instead work is being on the frontlines facing the deadly virus known as COVID-19. 

Before the pandemic hit, Thompson’s first thought in the morning was getting her kids up and ready for school and looking forward to a day’s work in the medical office. Now, her first thoughts in the morning as she drives to work is if she has all the correct PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) gathered to march to the frontlines facing this virus head on.  

“Pre covid,” says Thompson, “I was working in Vanderbilt outpatient clinics maskless doing patient intake, placing orders, giving immunizations, administering medications, doing messages, prescription refills, and whatever needs the provider has for patient care for the day.”  

However, the job is looking slightly different now. She performs the same duties. The only difference is that she administers COVID tests, and worries everyday about bringing the virus back home to her children. 

Unfortunately, Thompson’s greatest fears came true last year when she tested positive for COVID-19 ultimately bringing the virus back home. During that time Thompson says she felt as if a mask was holding her hostage. 

“I was diagnosed with the virus in August of 2020, I wore my mask for 14 days during quarantine in the house so my kids wouldn’t get sick.” 

“Everything involved masks. Wanted to watch TV? I need my mask. Wanted to walk to the bathroom? I need my mask. Wanted to just simply feed my son? I need my mask.” 

Due to this occurrence, Thompson had to have a one-on-one with her children explaining the sickness, 

“My daughter is 11 years old so I explained it as a virus much like the flu that can have a different effect on anyone who contracts it so it is important to maintain safe hygiene practices, a safe distance, and wear a mask. My son is 15 months so he’s too young to understand.” 

Helping others will always be the top priority for these healthcare workers, but they’re putting their lives on the line in order to do so. That fear resonates even further if you’re like Thompson working 8 hours a day in an establishment where you face contracting the virus yourself and bringing it back home to your kids. 

One silver lining that has come out of this pandemic is her opportunity to administer COVID vaccines, but the vaccine is “not a cure,” says Thompson. 

“It frustrates me that people think the COVID vaccine is a cure when all it does is build immunity like existing vaccines for any other illnesses.” 

The future looks quite murky regarding this pandemic, and when asked what she anticipates the most after a possible end to COVID Thompson answers, “Nothing in particular. I stay to myself and always have my kids, so everything I want is right here in front of me.” 

The end of COVID looks very far due to public response to the deadly virus. 

“Something that frustrates me about the public and COVID is that a lot of people do not take it seriously, and it is very serious. People do not get to choose which strain of the illness they contract, and their bodies are not strong enough to fight it off or withstand the damage that it may cause.” 

Since COVID began there have been around 11,000 COVID deaths just in the state of Tennessee according to the New York Time case count tracker. 

Deja says the number is indeed frightening, but she has her hopes for the future, 

“I have no time for hobbies, I only have time for extra-long days at work. In the future I just wish for my job to remain safe, secure, and allow me to continue to treat patients with direct care.” 

To contact Lifestyles Editor Ashley Barrientos, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Life