Chemtrails Over The Country Club Album Review

Story by Kaleah Wooten / Contributing Writer

Photo by Vulture

“Chemtrails Over the Country Club” is music’s latest American anthem. But, Lana isn’t paying tribute to our founding fathers in this album– she’s exposing the ins and outs of womanhood while tying in her opinions about American society. 

Released on Friday, “Chemtrails” is Lana’s 11-track Americana expression of her continuing vulnerability in musicality and subject matter. 

The journey begins with “White Dress.” The solemn piano, ambient guitar and her classic vocals set the tone for Lana to tell us how she’s had to work hard for who she is now, but still appreciate the beautiful moments. A few lines from the chorus say: 

Like look at how I got this 

Down at the Men in Music Business Conference 

I only mention it cause it was such a scene

And I felt seen 

In “White Dress,” Lana is proud of herself and the power she holds as an artist. 

The title track is a blissful moment of Lana’s freedom, laced with political and societal concepts. It’s clear how Lana feels: “I’m not bored or unhappy / I’m still so strange and wild.” 

Lana relays that she is glad that she is enjoying the wealth and benefits and wealth of a country club. Yet, the mention of chemtrails is being debated among listeners. Is this title a signal that Lana wants to change something in society or is it a deeper metaphor? The image of a country club in “Chemtrails” is one of many thought-provoking tracks from the album. 

“Tulsa Jesus Freak” is a pulsating love ballad that is energized by subdued drum groove, textural piano sounds and whispering background vocals. The track was originally called “White-Hot Forever,” which lends to the heat of the relationship that Lana references in this track.

“Let Me Love You Like A Woman” is the first single from “Chemtrails.” Lana’s sentiments are straightforward. She wants to get out of her small town and “go to infinity” with her lover. Images of wanting to hold her partner like a baby and shine like a diamond shows that she finds fulfillment in giving this person her love. This track is a beautiful way of discussing the nurturing side of women that shows in relationships. 

“Wild At Heart,” “Dark But Just A Game” and “Not All Who Wander Are Lost” keep “Chemtrails’” conversation flowing with somber guitar melodies, marching drums and Lana’s dreamy vocals.

She effortlessly continues to serenade others with her voice through the multidimensional complexities of love, life and freedom. 

“Yosemite” brings a new tone with it’s Latin-like percussion and mysterious guitar rhythm. The flow of the synth sounds and Lana’s lilting vocals keep the listener interested. 

The first verse says: Seasons may change / But we won’t change / Isn’t it sweet how we know that already?

“Yosemite” is an intimate analogy to Lana’s peace in this specific relationship. The track is still in line with her overall “wild and free” attitude of the album; yet the mysterious instrumentals juxtaposed with the more optimistic lyric bring a fresh take on relationships. Soon after, Lana brings in country singer Nikki Lane to vent about the loneliness of a break up, but also recognizing that that they don’t want to waste time on anyone. 

“Breaking Up Slowly” is a simple and soulful duet that feels like a conversation between two friends. 

“Dance Till We Die” is a mid-tempo reflection before the album’s end. Lana just wants to waltz on the positive side of things despite all her circumstances. Saxophone riffs set the tone of a late night out on the town, putting the listener right there with Lana. 

On “For Free,” the last track of “Chemtrails” Lana is assisted by Weyes Blood and Zella Day, who unite to create a harmonious tribute to an original Joni Mitchell song. Mitchell’s three verses are a sweet outro to album. 

Overall, “Chemtrails Over The Country Club” showcases Lana’s lyrical complexity that keeps her listeners intrigued. Her lofty vocals are somber and sweet, yet she wails about some of the deepest things we deal with in life. While listening to “Chemtrails,” I found myself in a mix of “chilling out,” but also listening intently. Lana continues to stand out in the music industry as a large influence on Americana music.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Ashley Barrientos, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Life