MTSU Students Explore On-Campus Resources

Story by Destiny Mizell / Contributing Writer

Photo via MTSU

On Monday, Middle Tennessee State University kicked off their second week by showing students their on-campus resources in the Student Union Atrium between 11 am and 2 pm. 

MTSU Connection Point makes it a point to ensure that students are aware of the free services offered to them on campus, whether it be relating to both mental and physical wellness, help options for veterans, career development and more. 

Tables for each organization had a plethora of goodies, handouts and sign-up sheets on each table. 

Advocating for wellness, the on-campus pharmacy located in the Campus Rec Center attended the event to share its services. 

“We are here to represent student health on campus. We do anything from check-ups to prescription filling,” Lisa Schrader, Director of Health Promotion, explained. “We like students to think of us as their doctor away from home.”

Mental wellness opportunities were also represented at the Resource Fair with MT Counseling. Counseling Services and LIFE Workshops are available on the third floor of the KUC.

Also located in the KUC is the Veteran and Military Family Center. They had a table at the Resource Fair for personal and family-related aid to veterans and the military. The organization offers varying scholarships, physical wellness and VA conferences that those with military involvement could find very helpful. 

Alongside the Veteran and Military Family Center, June Anderson Center for Women and Non-traditional Students attended the event as well. 

“We reach a lot of different people between the Women’s Center, The Power of One, and Non-traditional Students…We bring together every single person would come together and offer resources to students if they were going through dating violence, sexual violence, sexual assault and stalking,” Tatum Hochstetler, OVW Project Coordinator, explained. 

“We are a resource center that would start at one point and help students get to where they need to be in a situation. We also really try to make a community for non-traditional students as well,” Maigan Wipfli, Assistant Director of Student Programming, added.

The Center for Women and Non-traditional students works to prevent domestic violence and sexual assault. It also helps provide non-traditional students with an equivalent experience to what a traditional student receives.

The Student Food Pantry provides students who qualify for it with food items, hygiene and cleaning products. It is located on the second floor of the Student Services and Admissions Center.

With COVID-19, the Food Pantry has faced some changes. “We used to let students come in and pick out what they need, but now we get it for them. We have toilet paper, cleaning products, food and everything else a student could need,” Danielle Rochelle, Outreach Coordinator, said. 

The Career Development Center’s table was across from the Food Pantry. Like many other resources, it is located in the KUC. They host career fairs regularly. 

Assistant Director and Career Development, Kathy Irons shared, “We give a very unbiased and holistic view. We help students make decisions about the world of work and academia that they value and have interest in and make professional goals…We offer job searching, career development and employer relations.” 

MTSU offers a plethora of free-of-charge resources for students to make their community experience and transitions to college as smooth as possible.

To contact News Editor Toriana Williams, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.