MTSU baseball bounces back; downs LA Tech 12-8

Featured photo by Ryan Loftis

Story by Conner Smith

Murfreesboro, TN- Middle Tennessee State baseball flipped the script on Saturday after an ugly loss the day prior, slugging their way to a 12-8 victory over Louisiana Tech at Reese Smith Jr. Field.  

Middle Tennessee came out swinging in the first inning when it put the first two batters on with no outs. Jeremiah Boyd came up clutch with an RBI single to bring in the game’s first run. Brett Coker later scored on a sacrifice fly to make it 2-0. MTSU was able to plate three more to go into the second with an early 5-0 lead. 

In the second, the Blue Raiders continued to dominate when Briggs Rutter mashed a pitch in the right-center gap to plate two. DJ Wright followed that with a two-run double of his own to put MT up 9-0 after two innings. 

Wright has had a huge weekend with five hits and seven RBIs, including two base knocks and three RBIs during Saturday’s game. 

“The last few games I’ve stopped worrying about striking out, I go out and be patient and look for my pitch,” Wright said. “Coach Nichols has been on me lately, but it’s definitely helped me to get back into my groove and contribute to the team’s success.” 

It was all MTSU through three as it held an 11-0 lead over the Bulldogs. LA Tech was able to get its first hit and run of the game in the fourth. 

Tech had a huge fifth inning off MTSU pitcher Jaden Hamm, scoring four runs including a three-run home run. Eriq Swan came in for relief. 

The Blue Raiders did tack on another run in the sixth inning thanks to heads-up base running from Luke Vinson. Vinson went from first to third on a single, then advanced home on a fly ball.  

LA Tech did score three runs in the ninth, but it wasn’t enough as the Blue Raiders won 12-8. 

“Like I told the guys last night, a loss is a loss and you’ve got to shake it off,” MTSU head coach Jerry Meyers said. “They came out with more intensity and delivered tonight. I thought my pitchers did a good job today of working through counts and getting out of some tough spots. Tomorrow is just another game, so we must come out and execute like we did today to be successful like we want to be.” 

Conner Smith is a sports reporter for MTSU Sidelines. If you have information for a story, you can contact him at cws4t@mtmail.mtsu.edu.