Tuesday, May 7, 2024

MTSU Performing Arts Company begins preparations for annual show

Photo Courtesy of Middle Tennessee State University

Story by Annabelle Cranfill

Two MPAC dancers performing. (Photo courtesy of Eboni Godwin)

Middle Tennessee State University Performing Arts Company held its choreographer auditions Tuesday night at the Murphy Center. MPAC is a student organization on campus that allows students at MTSU to come together to choreograph, dance and organize a performance twice a year.

To start preparing for that performance, MPAC auditioned choreographers. Shortly after, they auditioned dancers for the chosen works of choreography.

“It’s really inspiring to work with other students so I can see them spark their own creativity and help spark mine as well,” said MPAC President Eboni Godwin.

For the choreographer auditions, many dancers prepared pieces to audition and hopefully have their work chosen to be showcased.

MPAC New Member Liaison Chris Hammlett was among those auditioning their choreography.

“I worked with my friends,” Hammlett spoke on preparing for his audition. He mentioned the close-knit atmosphere of the club. “That environment pushed me and helped drive me as to getting ready for this audition.”

A panel made up of seven judges watched each audition as they introduced themselves and performed what they had choreographed.

The auditions ranged from hip-hop to contemporary, showcasing a wide variety. This leaves many options for potential dancers to choose from when looking to audition for the show.

MPAC performers at one of their annual shows. (Photo courtesy of Eboni Godwin)

Health and Human Performance Master Instructor Coordinator Angela Ramos is the faculty sponsor and artistic director alongside assistant directors Francisco “Paco” Ramos and Veronica Brown.

“We’re a hidden gem,” Ramos said. “If one could see our show behind the scenes, they would be very surprised at how close we really are.”

“When you have a support system and a community who gives you that foundation that you need, you can be successful. I think that’s what MPAC does for each other,” Ramos said.

Dancer auditions will begin on Sunday, Sept. 10 in Murphy Center. MPAC welcomes everyone, regardless of dance experience. Schedules can be found on their Facebook and Instagram.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.