Mizzou Eats: Savor the flavors of Missouri at these must-try dining spots

Featured Photo by Holden Carter

Story by Holden Carter

This week, the Blue Raider football team travels to Columbia, Missouri, to take on the University of Missouri Tigers. Looking for good eats in the COMO area? Well, look no further. As a frequent visitor to Columbia and a sibling to a Mizzou alum, I have recommendations for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Breakfast: Goldie’s Bagels

Goldie’s Bagels is an excellent spot for the most important meal of the day. Whether you’re craving a delicious yet simple bagel or a more intricate delicacy for your first meal, Goldies is the place to be.

This eatery is perfect for pre-game day or really any day. Their motto is “Made by moms for your mornings, meetings, and Mazel Tovs!” Goldie’s isn’t just your run-of-the-mill simple bagel shop; It is also outfitted with a bakery and deli.

These bagels are scrumptious with fresh cream cheese made in-house. A two-day process takes place for each bagel. The hard work and dedication provided by their owner, Amanda, and her team cannot be overstated.

Lunch: CJ’s Hot Wings

According to the CJ’s Hot Wings website, it is a “Tiger Country Tradition.” I can see why, located for 30 years at the corner of 7th and Broadway in downtown Columbia. They have some of the best wings I’ve personally ever had, and I’m a bit of a wing connoisseur.

So many restaurants try to replicate the Buffalo Wing, but CJ’s does it right with crispy, fried wings that are absolutely to die for. They have a variety of sauce options although I usually go with the traditional buffalo-style sauce that they call their “Original” option. They also have different meal size options ranging from a “Partial Pound” (6 wings) to a five-pound meal (34-35 Wings). If you need wings for a gameday party, you could also go with “The Chicken Coop” which is 15 pounds of hot wings.

I usually go with the one-pound option which is about eight wings of any sauce of your choosing that cost about $14.99. Not a wing fan? You could also try their variety of salads and sandwiches. They also serve cold beer on tap.

Dinner: Shakespeare’s Pizza

Shakespeare’s Pizza has been a Columbia staple since 1973. They have three locations all throughout the city. The one I’ve most frequented is downtown, at 225 S. Ninth Street.

It’s probably one of the most visited restaurants in COMO and should be on your bucket list. If not for the freshly made pizza pie, but also for the college bar atmosphere.

They also have gluten-free options for those with dietary or health restrictions. I usually go with their meat lover’s pizza which has pepperoni, Canadian bacon, ground beef, Italian sausage and breakfast bacon. Their website menu clearly states, “Don’t ask about nutritional information on this one. Just… don’t.” Nutritious or non-nutritious it will leave you satisfied with a cold one. You can also build your own pizza with a set of 22 topping options.

Enjoy, and go Blue.

Now you’re set for the gameday weekend in Columbia, Missouri. I hope you enjoy these three options and look forward to seeing the Blue Raiders take home a win against the Mizzou Tigers.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.