MTSU has initial hearing with Tennessee Historical Commission in second attempt to rename Forrest Hall

Featured Photo by Noah McLane

Story by Noah McLane

Middle Tennessee State University continued its efforts to change the name of Forrest Hall Friday morning, Oct. 20, with an initial hearing in front of the Tennessee Historical Commission. 

The hearing marks the first step of MTSU’s second attempt to receive a waiver to the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act which would allow the school to officially change Forrest Hall’s name to Army ROTC Building. 

This means MTSU’s petition for a waiver of a Tennessee Heritage Protection Act rule, which makes it illegal for public entities to rename or rededicate monuments that honor past conflicts, is officially on the books. The waiver could permit MTSU to legally change the name of Forrest Hall, even though Nathaniel Bedford Forrest was a significant figure in the American Civil War. 

MTSU Sidelines has previously reported on the history of the university’s efforts to change the ROTC building’s name.

The commission’s next meeting will be Feb. 16, 2024. 

This is a developing story.

Noah McLane is the environmental reporter for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact News Editor Kailee Shores, Assistant News Editor Alyssa Williams and Assistant News Editor Zoe Naylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on Twitter and Instagram at @mtsusidelines.