Sunday, May 5, 2024

A brief history and TV show review of “Chucky”

Story by Jasmine Banks 

Everyone’s favorite possessed doll grabs the attention of many during the Halloween season. One of the top horror franchies, “Child’s Play” has been evolving for years. Most recently, a TV show priemiered called “Chucky” in October 2021.

American screenwriter, Don Mancini, is the mastermind behind “Child’s Play.” The first film which came out in 1988 follows murderer Charles Lee Ray who dies inside a toy store and uses black magic to transfer his soul into a good guy doll named Chucky. Soon, single mother Karen Barclay buys the doll for her son Andy whom chucky tries to kill and take over his body. 

“Child’s Play” two and three continues with the murderous doll killing, and trying to own the body of Andy Barclay whom he failed in killing in the first film. Andy seems to be the only person who he does not kill which makes him even more enraged.  

Throughout the years Don Mancini continued with the movie series and introduced more beloved characters such as Tiffany, Chucky’s wife, and in 2013 when “The Curse of Chucky” was released the character Nica was brought into the franchise. She became the main character who Chucky focused on for the last few movies that came out.  

The TV series follows three teens, Jake, Lexy and Devon whose lives have turned upside down due to the doll’s murderous behavior. When enemies and allies of Chucky turn up the reasoning behind his killings become known, and viewers get an insight into how he went from a seemingly innocent child into a serial killer. 

Season two of the series starts with the teens picking up the remaining pieces of their life with Chucky still on the loose. The season focuses more on how the people around the teens and Chucky lives are affected by the turn of events of season 1. This season also introduces Glen and Glenda who are the children of Chucky and Tiffany, and who did are trying to figure out what their mother is hiding.  

Most viewers have rated the series a 5/5, and noted how amazing the series is. One fan has said that “This show is amazing! I recommend it for any fan.” Others have enjoyed how they brought back many of the characters from the original movies such as Andy.  

“Child’s Play” has become one of the well-known horror franchises that has expanded over 35 years with 8 movies and the current television series.  As of 2023, season three of “Chucky” is streaming and there has been a total of 4 episodes so far. 

“Chucky” premieres every Wednesday night, and you can watch it online on Peacock or Hulu streaming service.   

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.