Departments join forces in Arts Celebration Concert

Featured photo via Sidelines Archive 

Story by Annabelle Cranfill

Middle Tennessee State University’s College of Liberal Arts held its second Arts Celebration Concert on Saturday night, where the Art, Dance, Music and Theatre departments collaborated in order to showcase talent.

The Arts Celebration Concert is put on to highlight different art mediums, and for the departments to collaborate as one. The MTSU Arts Patron Society is invited to the concert and acknowledged throughout the performance for their generous support.

Kristi Shamburger, Department of Theatre and Dance Associate Professor and Interim Chair, and Will Perkins, School of Music Assistant Professor, worked as co-directors to construct and rehearse the concert.

Shamburger said that they were very excited to share this year’s concert and shine the light on the talented students.

“Most of all, we are grateful for this opportunity to say ’thank you’ to those that support the arts in our community and not only make it possible to do what we love; but for sharing that joy with us,” Shamburger said.

The Department of Art and Design put together a slideshow to showcase their students and faculty’s talents, which was featured in the concert’s program. A QR code was provided in the program to scan and view the slideshow. It consisted of designed slides of information about all of the facilities, foundations and programs the department has to offer.

The concert consisted of 11 performances that included singing, dancing, steel pans, authentic Chinese instruments and poetry. Professional Broadway and American Idol alum, Diana DeGarmo performed in the concert and spent one-on-one time with several student performers.

DeGarmo joined students on stage for the opening performance to sing “New Music” from Ragtime. DeGarmo then energetically welcomed the audience to prepare them for the following performances.

MTSU Dance students performed a ballet piece. Four dancers rehearsed and showcased a dance based on musicality.

“I was just really playing with the architecture and the structure of the music,” said Kim Holt, choreographer. “It’s about showcasing movement and music together.”

Anna Conar felt the dance incorporation was important.

“It gets us in front of new eyes who are maybe not going to see Dance,” Conar said. “People are coming from all the departments, and they get to witness us even if it wasn’t their intention.”

Julia Peasall, another dancer said that the concert unifies the departments, which faculty has been working to do. With the Dance department still growing, dancer, Emma Loy-Williams, said that the concert helps put them in the same space as more established departments.

A powerful spoken word poem was recited about the topic of motherhood. The MTSU Chamber Ensemble also arranged a rendition of ‘thank u, next” by Ariana Grande. MTSU Opera Theatre performed the duet “Evening Prayer” from Hansel and Gretel. Diana DeGarmo also sang “Don’t Rain on My Parade” from Funny Girl.

The Steel Pan Ensemble had a fun and exciting performance of “Sarah”. The ensemble had previously played this composition last semester.

Conga player, Austin Mellen, said that they usually perform maybe three times a semester and that adding another performance on top of that is always good.

The Chinese Music Ensemble was invited for the first time to participate in this concert and performed a piece entitled “Golden Snake Dancing Wildly.” The Chinese Music Ensemble is for students to learn how to play contemporary and traditional Chinese music.

Erhu player, Shane Spurgeon, spoke on how the Chinese Music Ensemble can be beneficial in more ways than one.

“There are different, not just ensembles, but just opportunities for people to explore different cultures,” said Spurgeon. “The favorite part of my week is rehearsing at Chinese Music Ensemble.”

The Musical Theatre Production Class sang two songs from Cinderella, which theatre and opera had joined forces on to produce and perform last semester. “Stepsister’s Lament” and “There Is Music in You” were both performed from the musical.

“It’s nice to have everyone together, because we don’t always get together with the dance majors or the music majors, but it’s nice that we’re doing it all together,” said Paige Lovell, a theatre major.

College of Liberal Arts Dean, Leah Tolbert Lyons, inducted three new members into the MTSU Arts Hall of Fame for their dedication and support of MTSU Arts. Three students were also recognized for receiving the Ascend Scholarship.

The MT Production Class and Diana DeGarmo gathered on stage together to sing “Once Upon a Time” from BKLYN the Musical to close out the concert. It was a satisfying ending to the talent-packed show.

It was an inspiring night full of celebration for all facets of performing arts. The arts can be even more powerful when working as a united front.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.