Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Top 5 standout performances at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards

Featured photo by Jathan Campbell

Story by Destiny Mizell and Shamani Salahuddin

The 66th Annual Grammy Awards performances fostered a night of connection and celebration through heartfelt intimacy and captivating visuals. The evening presented legends, pop sensations, rappers and everyone in between on stage, including a surprise duet. Women take the cake for best performances this year, but support from artists like Finneas and Luke Combs doesn’t hurt. 

Ready to find out who stood out? Read on for the best Grammys performances this year. 

SZA

The night’s most anticipated performance, SZA, took over the Grammy stage with her fantasy storytelling. Her solo debut performance consisted of an immersive set design and an army of women with katanas to sell the song about a “double homicide,” as host Trevor Noah put it.

While many performers opted to let their voices speak for them, SZA invited the audience into the world of “SOS,” matching the cinematic visuals of her music videos. Every detail was theatrical, and SZA used her lyrics as narration. “Snooze” leads the viewer through the feeling of being in love and “Kill Bill” through the heartbreak. 

The nine-time nominee remained true to her art and afterward took home Best R&B Song for “Snooze.” Shamani Salahuddin

Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus took to the stage equipped with sass and shade following her first-ever Grammy win for Best Pop Solo Performance. Personality perfected the “Flowers” performance, which made jaws drop and Oprah dance. The mild crowd livened up after a brief scolding from Cyrus not a minute into her show. 

“Why are you acting like you don’t know this song?” Cyrus said between lines.

The contrasting dark backdrop paired with her teased hair, glittering attire and power poses further illuminated the star’s prowess. Later in the evening, Cyrus won another Grammy for Record of the Year. 

Mic drop. No, not just the phrase. She actually mic-dropped before strutting away at the end of her performance. Destiny Mizell

Billie Eilish

Billie Eilish delivered a raw, effortless performance of the original song, “What Was I Made For.” Wearing the teased 1965 Barbie outfit, “Poodle Parade,” she sang with support from her brother Finneas on piano and backup vocals. Eilish always performs with an emotional connection, but this time felt especially distinct. 

“Writing that song, kind of, saved my life,” she shared in her acceptance speech at the Golden Globes. 

The dubbed Song of the Year enticed everyone on their feet, and the siblings exchanged a heartwarming smile.  Shamani Salahuddin

Joni Mitchell 

After a sincere introduction from Brandi Carlile, Joni Mitchell graced the stage for the first time in her career. The 80-year-old performed a beautiful rendition of “Both Sides, Now,” joined by Carlile, Allison Russell, Sistastrings, Lucius, Jacob Collier and Blake Mills. When Mitchell spun around in her grand brocade throne chair, applause erupted in the room. Stars from Meryl Streep to Dua Lipa to Beyonce watched in awe. The pioneer held her own, singing mightily and following the rhythm with her cane. Once Joni finished, there wasn’t a dry eye in the audience. Shamani Salahuddin

Luke Combs and Tracy Chapman

Tracy Chapman treated the world to a surprise public appearance alongside Luke Combs. His cover of “Fast Car” received a nomination for Best Country Solo Performance at the Premiere Ceremony, and he didn’t mind giving Chapman the glory. Audience members could not be silenced once she began strumming her guitar to the same tune that won her a Grammy in 1989. Taylor Swift and Jelly Roll – among several others – belted the song word for word. The duet shared contagious grins throughout the humble performance and their harmonizing induced goosebumps. The soothing, timeless melody secured a standing ovation. Destiny Mizell

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.