Sunday, April 28, 2024

Kasino Black: Betting on inspiration

Featured photo by Kasino Black

Story by Danny Osborne

At 29 years old, Kyle Sample, better known by his stage name Kasino Black, is carving his path in the music industry as an audio production student at Middle Tennessee State University.

Black is signed to Match Records, MTSU’s student-run record label, as a rapper. He is also a member of MTSU’s Urban Entertainment Society, an inclusive entertainment collective that focuses on urban lifestyle in performance arts.

Being in a military family, Black has lived in many different places across the country. He moved from New Jersey to Virginia, then Maryland and now Middle Tennessee. At the community college he attended before coming to MTSU, Black asked one of his professors where he could learn more about audio production. The professor recommended MTSU because of the notable audio production program. Now, Black spends a lot of time making music on campus.

With an eclectic music taste, Black will listen to just about anything. He says that his mom is a music lover, and he listens to jazz and R&B because of her. As long as he can relate to the lyrics and feel the music, he enjoys it no matter the genre.

As a child, he would memorize songs from children’s television.

“It went from learning Barney songs, stuff like that. Then later, secretly listening to music that I shouldn’t have been listening to, you know, with curse words.”

Black would listen to artists such as 50 Cent and Ludacris. Getting older, he was inspired by Mac Miller, Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole.

Black started making music on a computer webcam.

“It was a really bad starting… very humble beginnings,” he said.

He started going to recording booths when he realized he wanted to take his passion seriously.

When it comes to creating music, Black said that you can’t just wait to be inspired; you have to search for it. Black receives song ideas in really unique ways. Just by watching a movie or television show, one line can hit close to home. A single line in a show inspired an entire song. Or even after a rough day at work, he will put on a beat and start saying what comes to mind.

Black has many goals. He would love to travel the world one day. He wants to see what the world has to offer with different cultures, music and food.

Another goal he wants to achieve is to be portrayed as an animated character. Watching the “Heartless” video by Kanye West, he really enjoys the idea of becoming a cartoon character. Voice acting is on Black’s bucket list as well.

In the end, Black doesn’t really care about fame or money. He just wants his music to touch others. If one of his songs inspires someone, he will be happy.

He can be found on his Instagram and his music is across all streaming platforms.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.