Saturday, May 4, 2024

5 solo-dates to try this Valentine’s Day

Featured graphic by Destiny Mizell

Story by Jakiyra Withers

Society may have you believe that being single on Valentine’s Day isn’t ideal and is a ticket to being sad and alone. We’re here to tell you there is no right or wrong way to celebrate Feb. 14. Whether it’s a romantic date with a partner, hanging out with friends or exchanging cards with family, the fear of missing out on Valentine’s Day is real, but being exclusively solo can be a blessing in disguise.  

Buy yourself flowers.  

People often use flowers to express love, spread smiles and boost moods. Buying yourself flowers can also be empowering, visually pleasing, and a form of “treating yourself.” It is too often that people wait for a major accomplishment or a significant event to celebrate themselves. However, buying your favorite flowers can turn any day into your own special occasion.  

Treat yourself to a massage.  

Massages are known to relieve tension and heighten mental alertness. One of the immediate benefits of a massage is a feeling of deep relaxation and calm. Massages also reduce levels of stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. If you have been feeling overwhelmed and tired, this is a great way to show your body some TLC on Valentine’s Day.  

Binge-watch your favorite series.  

Binge-watching has health benefits like reducing levels of stress and promoting relaxation. This is because it releases dopamine in the brain and creates a feeling of pleasure. So, you tell us. What’s a love day without binging your favorite television show at your leisure?   

Get Artsy.  

Tap into your creative side and make a cute painting to display in your room or study space. Engaging in creative activities gives our minds a break from the demands of everyday life. It gives us the opportunity to focus on something enjoyable and exciting. Take some time to express how colorful and joyous love can be by connecting with your artistic visions.  

Host a gathering at home. 

Hosting will require other people, but it is a way to bring those you love together. Gatherings positively impact the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of family members, friends, and children. From a simple afternoon get-together to a weekend getaway, gatherings and reunions strengthen bonds and relationships. Host a potluck or have a Valentine’s Day-themed event to bring you and your loved ones happiness on this special day.  

You can take your Love Day to the next level in several ways, but these are just a few.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.