Tuesday, May 7, 2024

How to make Valentine’s Day earrings   

Featured photo by Kaleigh Young

Story by Kaleigh Young

As Valentine’s Day approaches, what better way to express love and creativity than by crafting a homemade gift? With just a few simple materials and a touch of imagination, you can create a stunning accessory that’s as unique as your affection. Whether you’re crafting a gift for someone special or treating yourself to a bit of self-love, these handcrafted earrings will serve as a reminder of joy in the season of love.

Get ready to gather your materials and get crafting.

What you’ll need

• A pair of needle-nose pliers
  • A pair of flat-nose pliers
  • Beading rods
  • Two 10 mm fish hook clasps
  • Two packages of heart beads, alphabet beads (optional) and silver ending beads.

All these materials can be found at your local craft supply.  

Step one

Choose your beads and string them on the beading rod. I prefer the tinier heart beads in blue, pink, and purple. Make sure your beads fit the size of the beading rod, and if they are larger than the ending, that’s when using a silver ending bead would be handy. It creates a stopping point so the bigger bead won’t fall off the ending.  

Step two

Cut your beading rod with your flat-nose pliers. You will need jewelry wire cutters if your flat-nose pliers do not have a wire-cutting section in the middle. When you cut your beading rod, make sure it’s at an appropriate length to make a circle.  

Step three

Make a circle with your needle nose pliers. This is what the fish hook clasps will be able to attach to. When making your circle, it is essential to ensure the wire’s two ends are even and there are no gaps. Gaps create a space for the beads and the fish hook to slip off.  

Step four

Use your needle-nose pliers to open one of the fish hook clasps. When opening the fish hook, slide your beading rod in. Next, close the fish hook. If you have difficulty closing the fish hook with the needle nose pliers, using two pairs will make it easier. The first pair holds it in place while the second can close the ending.  

Step five

The finished product. (Photo by Kaleigh Young).

Step back and enjoy your earrings! Now, you have an hand-made item that took 10-15 minutes to make. You can also gift them away for the holiday. Happy crafting.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.