Unity Luncheon limelight lands on keynote speaker Cary Holman

Featured Photo from Hannah Carley

Story by Hannah Carley

Middle Tennessee State University hosted its annual Unity Luncheon on Feb. 8. The event is designed to celebrate “unsung heroes” of the middle Tennessee community, according to the university’s website.

This year’s keynote speaker was Cary Holman, who received a standing ovation after his speech.

Holman earned his master’s from and served as an adjunct professor at MTSU. Holman’s academic achievement does not end there, as he earned a doctorate in education from the American College of Education. President Sidney McPhee and retired professor Gloria Bonner welcomed Holman to the stage.

As she introduced the keynote speaker, Bonner remembered teaching Holman in the Franklin County school system. “He was brilliant, respectful, kind, generous,” she said.

In March of 2023, Holman’s career-long dream became a reality when he learned he’d been named the Director of Schools for Franklin County. This year, Holman enters his 28th year in education. He’s spent his career working at every level to realize his goal. He started as a student in Franklin County, then, years later, quickly climbed the ranks to principal. 

“A willing mind desires to see the mountains moving, but a determined mind can move it,” Holman said.

Holman’s formative years were in a seven-sibling, single-parent home. At the Unity Luncheon, Bonner acknowledged the speaker’s mother and attributed his values to her hard work.

“He got that from his mother, Ms. Trisha Holman, who’s here with us today.” 

Bonner also applauded Holman’s spirituality which put him at a “brighter wattage,” she said, than his siblings. Holman is now an ordained minister and associate pastor with Believers Faith Fellowship.

“I’m now back in the same county in which I grew up in and have the opportunity to go back home and serve as the director of schools,” said Holman.

Hannah Ferreira is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact News Editor Alyssa Williams and Assistant News Editor Zoe Naylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines or on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines.

Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.