Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Mounted shooting and mule soccer: Fast times at the Southern Equine Expo

Featured photo by Preston Todd

Story by Daniel Sheehan

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

People from all walks of life attended the 11th Annual Southern Equine Expo at Tennessee Miller Coliseum over the weekend. Patrons of Middle Tennessee’s premiere horse festival gathered in celebration of one thing they all have in common: love for an animal.

Attendees suited up in their best Western garb. Rhinestones, chaps and cowboy hats adorned the crowd – even those who weren’t there to ride. From old school countrymen dawning Sam Elliott-esque mustaches to young girls with stitched horse t-shirts, the coliseum was truly a melting pot of equine culture.

Vendors, which lined the upper tier of the main arena, reflected this diversity. Zero proof cocktail-themed horse treats, saddles, cowhides and the coveted Breyer horse figurines were all for sale. Many booths were filled with wide-brimmed hats and silver jewelry. The expo also featured several non-horse related vendors, including Click Heaters thermal body massagers and Essential Bodywear fitted bras. 

While window shopping enticed a few visitors, the main attraction was stationed on the lower level of the coliseum. Three arenas, including the facility’s primary rink, hosted simultaneous demonstrations over the duration of the expo’s three day run. These presentations ranged from obstacle circuits to a lecture on horse digestive nutrition from Middle Tennessee State University’s own Rhonda Hoffman, director of horse science.

Some events, however, focused on entertainment rather than education. A crowd favorite from the weekend was a game of mule soccer, a fast-paced full contact sport complete with goalies and a big pink ball. The game, led by accomplished mule trainer Paul Garrison III, consists of eight riders using universal cues to lead their mules toward the ball. Riders are able to kick the ball themselves, but most of the work is primarily done by the mules.

“The object of the game is to put the ball in the goal,” Garrison said. “Other than that, there are not any rules.”

Garrison himself took advantage of this free reign play, gently pushing opponent mule heads away from the ball in order to misdirect them. While the riders played competitively, the audience showed no preference for a winner. The stands erupted each time a goal was scored regardless of which team got the point.

Another kinetic high point of the expo was the cowboy mounted shooting demonstration. In the activity, several riders equipped with pistols shot balloons as their horses galloped – the fastest speed at which they can run. One experienced rider even completed the exercise with a shotgun, showcasing his ability to ride at high speeds with no hands.

While not all horses are able to perform the task, the ones that do are largely unaffected by the sounds of the gunshots. Brent Arrington, who participated in the demonstration, explained that the most important component is the relationship between the rider and the horse.

“You’ve gotta get a horse to trust you,” Arrington said. “Then he’ll just guide you.”

On Sunday, forty expo attendees gathered to celebrate a different kind of faith. Pastor Steve Tankersley led the expo’s cowboy church service before the day’s festivities began. Cowboy church, a tradition popularized in the 1970s, aims to bridge the gap between lifestyle and religion. Members believe in an interconnectedness between the earthly and the spiritual. Tankersley preaches that the lessons one learns in a pasture can be applied to one’s Biblical understanding.

“Animals need trust and respect,” Tankersley said. “Just like God.”

Tankersley operates under the nonprofit Cowboys For Christ, whose outreach programs include a prison ministry. The organization has given away over 30 thousand free Bibles, with many going to incarcerated people.

Equine confidence was also on display in a demonstration by Metro Nashville Police Mounted Patrol. A unit of officers on horseback modeled a few of their regular responsibilities, including crowd control and intercepting physical altercations. The horses are specially trained to be comfortable in the presence of smoke, flashing lights, drones and low flying helicopters, Officer Tim Edwards said.

“We go through 150 saddle hours of training,” Edwards said. “We have to be prepared for all of it.”

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines.