Top moments from the 2024 Oscars

Featured photo via GoDaddy

Story by Daniel Sheehan

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

The 96th Academy Awards brought life back to Hollywood’s biggest night after the timid show of 2023.

While last year’s ceremony prioritized being scandal-free over entertainment, The Academy appeared to let loose Sunday night. Perhaps it was in celebration of the agreements reached after the recent Writers Guild of America and SAG-AFTRA strikes or the fact that the stakes were so low. 

Best Picture winner “Oppenheimer” had been the frontrunner since the film’s release in July, making for an anticlimactic ending to the show. However, several moments captivated and inspired viewers of the telecast.

Emotional beginnings

The first award of the night went to Da’Vine Joy Randolph for Best Supporting Actress in “The Holdovers.” Randolph, who plays a grieving mother while working in an all-boys private school cafeteria, broke down in tears as co-star Paul Giamatti escorted her to the stage. She reflected on the acting teacher who gave her the confidence to pursue her career. 

“For so long, I’ve always wanted to be different,” Randolph said. “And now I realize I just need to be myself.” 

Defending indie films

Cord Jefferson, writer and director of “American Fiction,” expressed gratitude for producers taking a chance on him as a first-time director during his acceptance speech for Best Adapted Screenplay. Rather than using his time in the limelight to list the people who made the production possible, he pleaded for studios to fund smaller films instead of blockbusters and give more unknown filmmakers the opportunity he received.

“I understand that this is a risk-averse industry,” Jefferson said. “But $200 million movies are also a risk. … Instead of making one $200 million movie, try making 20 $10 million movies.”

Baring it all

Taking risks seemed to be the theme of the night. John Cena hesitantly shuffled onstage to present an award wearing nothing but a pair of Birkenstocks. Fully waxed and perfectly toned, Cena held the envelope containing the winner’s name in front of his genitals before launching into a speech about one of the most important aspects of filmmaking.

“Costumes,” Cena said as the audience erupted with laughter. 

A bittersweet win

Even on a night with nearly full frontal nudity, the most uncomfortable moment of the ceremony came with the announcement of Emma Stone for Best Actress. Stone, who previously won for “La La Land” in 2017, looked visibly conflicted as she approached the stage. While critics and audiences have universally lauded her performance, she was well aware that she was awarded over Lily Gladstone, the first Native American nominated in Oscar history. This moment was especially awkward considering Stone’s other 2023 role in “The Curse,” in which she plays an HGTV host who profits at the expense of Native Americans.

A pink fever dream

Stone’s frequent co-star Ryan Gosling led the most exciting performance of the night. Accompanied by Mark Ronson, Slash from Guns n Roses, and a school of Kens, Gosling performed “I’m Just Ken,” the nominated original song from Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie.” Gosling started the song from his seat in the audience, between Margot Robbie and Billie Eilish, who both struggled to conceal their laughter. After the performance, host Jimmy Kimmel offered Gosling’s bedazzled pink pants for auction, with the sole bid coming from Bradley Cooper’s mother.

Daniel Sheehan is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Destiny Mizell and Assistant Lifestyles Editor Shamani Salahuddin, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, or follow us on Instagram at MTSUSidelines or on X at @MTSUSidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.