Murfreesboro City Schools wow with 6 Tennessee Reward Schools recipients

Featured photo by Bailey Brantingham

Story by Bailey Brantingham

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

Every year, a few Tennessee public schools receive the honor of being named Tennessee Reward Schools. The title is presented to schools based on their overall student academic achievement and growth. This reward status is the top state distinction a public school can earn in Tennessee, and, in the case of Murfreesboro City Schools, those who earn it, flaunt it.

“The Reward School designation is part of the state’s overall accountability protocol and determined based on multiple indicators,” said Tennessee Department of Education’s Director of Media Brian Blackley.

“This included graduation rate, student academic assessment and growth data, English learner performance, chronic absenteeism and out-of-school suspension rates and how ready students are when they graduate.”

Usually announced in the fall, this year’s reward school designations were delayed due to the inaugural release of Tennessee’s School Letter Grades, which reflect the academic, curricular and growth achievements of public schools. Although getting off to a somewhat rocky start, the results were well worth the wait for Murfreesboro City Schools.

This year, six out of 13 Murfreesboro City Schools were designated as Tennessee Reward Schools, compared to last year’s two recipients. Having nearly half of the city schools earning this title is a feat for the district, as only about 20% of public schools across the state achieve this status.

These six schools represent Murfreesboro’s best and brightest, each earning a grade of B or above on Tennessee’s new A through F School Letter Grade system.

Aside from the ever-evolving curriculum, Murfreesboro City Schools attribute much of their recognition to the encouragement and expansion of student activities throughout the schools, such as the numerous performing arts programs and the rapidly growing robotics program.

Although many public schools go out of their way to achieve this honor, Murfreesboro City Schools assures that their focus remains on one thing: the students.

“Being an award school is a thrill for us all, but it’s not a goal that we work toward. We work for our students to grow to their fullest academic potential,” said Reeves-Rogers Elementary teacher Kathie Brown.

School representatives agree that this achievement does not go without a large amount of work on all fronts. The Tennessee Reward School designation is not awarded based on the efforts of the district itself, rather it relies upon the efforts of a well-oiled educational machine that begins with the students and ends with city school administrators.

“Being a reward school requires the students, their families, the faculty and administrators in our building, as well as support from our district administrators, to make this possible,” Brown said.

Murfreesboro City Schools reinforce their primary goal of upholding curricula that are best suited for enriching and nurturing students, with the Tennessee Reward School designations serving as the “cherry on top” of the district’s hard work every year.

Bailey Brantingham is a contributing writer for MTSU Sidelines.

To contact News Editor Alyssa Williams and Assistant News Editor Zoe Naylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.