Rutter continues stellar season with program’s third cycle

Featured photo by Ryan Loftis

Story by Conner Smith

If you want more news like this, sign up for the Sidelines weekly newsletter here! Find it in your inbox every Thursday afternoon.

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – For MTSU baseball’s Briggs Rutter, the 2024 season has been like a movie and he’s been the star for just about every game. Even in Friday night’s 15-12 loss in 11 innings, Rutter still played excellently, and even made history by hitting for the first cycle MTSU baseball had seen since 2009 and only the third in program history.

What made it even more impressive was that it only took Rutter six innings to achieve this feat.

“I’ll be honest, it was definitely in the back of my mind going up to bat in the sixth,” Rutter said with a grin. “But no, seriously, I was in the same approach all night and luckily I got a fastball right where I liked it and I sent it out.”

Funny enough this wasn’t the catcher’s first cycle of his career. He did it in 2022 with his summer ball team, the Amsterdam Mohawks. That one was special, but to do it at the Division I stage is just another surreal moment for Rutter in his stellar senior campaign.

Coming into this year, Rutter had never hit a triple, which is without a doubt the hardest part of the cycle. But he worked on getting some more speed in the offseason leading up to 2024 and now not only has three triples but has the one that earned him this achievement.

“I was a little heavier last spring, I was 225, It wasn’t good for my body, and I didn’t feel good playing, so I made a change,” Rutter said. “I put a big emphasis on losing weight right after our 2023 season ended so I could ultimately be a more athletic catcher which is what I was when I was at my best. Now that the weight is gone, I feel much better and I think that’s helped my speed.”

Rutter has always been a hard worker, that’s why he’s seen the field as early and as often as he has. He started the last two years and was a good role player off the bench as a sophomore. So, with all the work he’s put in, one would think he was proud of the moment due to the blood, sweat and tears he’s poured into a game that he loves. The Columbia, Tenn. native says that helps, but said that doing it at a school he loves just means more.

“I love this school. I became a man at this school,” Rutter said. “You go off to college and you just hope for the best, but this school has seen me grow up. I’ve been here all four years and honestly, it meant a lot for me to stay here, especially with the whole age thing. With me being here through the coaching changes and seeing some guys leave for the draft or go elsewhere, it means the most that I stayed and now I’ve done what I have at a school that I grew up at.”

This season has been phenomenal for the backstop. Rutter is currently batting .383 to go along with nine home runs, 35 RBIs, and a 1.175 OPS. Considering he’s draft-eligible it’ll be interesting to see the attention he gets from scouts as the rest of his season goes on and throughout the summer.

Conner Smith is a sportswriter for MTSU Sidelines. For more news, visit www.mtsusidelines.com, and follow us on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on X and Instagram at @mtsusidelines. Also, sign up for our weekly newsletter here.