TEMPT Cancels Afroman Concert in Wake of Assault Charges

Local fans of rapper Afroman will have to get their weed-rap fix elsewhere as his March 27 concert at Murfreesboro nightclub TEMPT has been cancelled.

The cancellation follows the “Because I Got High” rapper’s arrest for punching a female fan on stage at a show in Biloxi, Mississippi on Feb. 17. The overwhelming fallout that followed seemed to take its toll on Afroman, as he announced his retirement from live performances in a Facebook post on Feb. 23 and began anger management shortly after.

However, according to TEMPT, Afroman’s retirement wasn’t why the Murfreesboro stop of his co-headlining “Best Buds” tour with Memphis rapper Muck Sticky was cancelled. The venue pulled the plug on the performance after the assault.

“We at TEMPT had strong feelings about cancelling as soon as we saw what had happened (in Mississippi) regarding the young lady,” booking manager Josh Qualls told Sidelines. “We approached his manager and said we had no more interest in having the event and they complied and are sending back the deposit. It’s unfortunate that the rest of the tour support had to cancel along with him but we plan to reschedule with Muck Sticky soon.”

Qualls said all tickets for the show will be refunded. Trap producer Antiserum has been set to fill the void left in TEMPT’s schedule.

In other TEMPT cancellation news, “hick-hop” artist Big Smo has been forced to reschedule his March 11 concert at the venue due to “unforeseen circumstances.” A new date has not been announced, but all tickets will be honored at the rescheduled performance.

Follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.

To see our preview of spring concerts at TEMPT, click here.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com