Letter from the editor: The Sex Edition

Cover image by Samantha Wycoff/ Design Editor 

Welcome back, and to those of you who are new here, welcome to MTSU!

As this is the first edition of the semester and school year, I’d like to use this space for a mission statement of sorts.

We are  MTSU’s daily digital news source and monthly news magazine. Sidelines has been around since 1925 (our website is much better now than it was then), providing news, lifestyles and sports stories for the MTSU community.

As the university and, well, the world have changed, so has our staff, format and content. Simply put: we are not your mother’s college newspaper.

We are fortunate enough to be editorially independent. While we have two wonderful advisers and a college full of faculty who support us, we, the 13 student editors, run what we see fit. We want nothing more than to cover what’s relevant to you, the students.

And what’s more relevant than sex?

We didn’t exactly write the Kama Sutra and we aren’t inherently encouraging students to jump in the sack, but let’s be real; STIs, unplanned pregnancies, gender inequality and LGBT+ issues affect everyone, including (and maybe especially) college students.

So, why on earth wouldn’t we talk about it? Let’s talk about how some writer for Sidelines was so heinous in the 80s that he  sparked MT Lambda’s existence. Let’s talk about how our female professors are paid 88 cents for every dollar their male  colleagues make. Let’s talk about how MTSU has about twice the national average unplanned pregnancies despite our exceptional sexual health resources.

Let’s talk in this edition, this series, online and in literally everything we do about the things that matter. The best way for us to do this is for you to tell us what you care about. Come to one of our meetings on a Friday at 2 p.m. in the Center for Innovation in Media or email me at editor@mtsusidelines.com and let us know what you think we should run.
You have ideas, problems and questions that can steer us toward a meaningful publication;  we have people who understand the point of the paper: to cover things relevant to students and, just maybe, incite a few changes.

This letter originally ran in the Sex Edition on September 21. To see other content from the Sex Edition, click here. The next installment of Sidelines’s Sex, Drugs and Rock N’ Roll series will be available on campus in October. 

Previous 'Blair Witch' revisits the Black Hills with mixed results
Next Washington Post editor speaks on police shootings, award-winning project