Mountain Oasis music festival creates weekend full of good vibes

By Patty Greer
Contributing writer

Mountain Oasis, formally known as Moogfest, took place this past weekend in Asheville, N.C. Headliners Bassnectar, Nine Inch Nails and Pretty Lights, immediately set the mood for a weekend of good vibes.

Mountain Oasis in itself has always been a different kind of music festival.

For starters, the festival is strung out across downtown Asheville, giving attendees the opportunity to see tons of cool venues, while also exploring the beautiful city when walking from show to show.

Mountain Oasis also teams up with tons of local business to supply discounts and rewards to those attending the festival. The three main venues were US Cellular Stage, the Thompson Wolfe Auditorium and The Orange Peel.

Another unique aspect of Mountain Oasis is all of the workshops and exhibits they put on during the weekend. Festivalgoers had the opportunity to learn how different synths worked and hear speakers that are major influences in the electronic music world. This festival is a must for any up and coming electronic artists.

Each night was filled with positive vibes, starting the moment people stepped on sight.

Upon arrival to the Explore Asheville Area Friday night, Purity Ring’s “Fine Shrine” was bumping for the excited crowd. The night only got better from there.

Deltron 3030 played next. The hip-hop legend took the stage with a full orchestra and hyped the crowd with his futuristic lyrics. Deltron closed his set perfectly with the Gorillaz track he’s featured in, “Clint Eastwood.”

Although Neutral Milk Hotel’s and Bassnectar’s sets were at the same time, they were close enough to catch a little of both. The artists put on such great shows, making it impossible to complain about the overlap.

Bosnian Rainbows was the first show of the festival’s second night. While the Texas natives were one of the smaller bands of the weekend, their dark and eccentric performance was one of the best shows of the weekend. Lead Vocalist Teri Bender had a stage presence that was so powerful it almost made you uncomfortable.