Best Sushi in Murfreesboro: Tantalize your taste buds with these local sushi options

By John Connor Coulston // Assistant A&E Editor

Rather than scarfing down greasy fries or soggy pizza in the Keathley University Center, some students try Asian Express for its premade sushi. But for a unique or more sophisticated dining experience, Sidelines has a roundup the slew of off-campus sushi options set to tantalize your taste buds.

Aya Sushi

Quietly tucked away on Northwest Broad Street, this sushi bar has the most character. The owners are more than hospitable and do anything they can to make your experience memorable.

If you’re looking for a sushi roll with a kick, try the Fire Engine roll. For the traditionalists, try the Aya Roll. Fresh sushi and warm welcomes make this one of the best sushi spots in town.

Cathay Asian Bistro

Two sushi roll from Cathay Asian Bistro in Murfreesboro, Tenn. MTSU Sidelines / John Connor Coulston)

When you hear the words “all-you-can-eat,” an image of lackluster Chinese buffets comes to mind. However, Cathay’s all-you-can-eat sushi breaks the stereotype with fresh rolls made-to-order all day.

Next time you’re on South Church Street, make sure to try a variety of rolls with this special, including the Spicy Salmon roll and the Shrimp Tempura roll with cream cheese.

Fin Fusion Sushi

Also located on South Church Street is Fin Fusion, a small sushi bar that might not seem like much from the outside, but it’s worth a visit.

Pairing its cozy vibe with excellent menu items, such as the deep-fried MTSU roll or the bento box meal, ensures your first visit definitely won’t be your last.

Kroger

A takeout sushi roll from Kroger in Murfreesboro, Tenn. MTSU Sidelines / John Connor Coulston)

Naysayers ask, “Why would I go to a grocery store to buy sushi?” But, this chain sprinkled all throughout Murfreesboro doesn’t deliver the bland, premade sushi rolls that come to mind. Instead, Kroger has a sushi chef on staff making fresh rolls throughout the day.

Be sure to pick up their most popular item, the crunchy crab and shrimp roll, on your next grocery run.

Lemongrass Sushi and Thai

While sushi is a mainstay of most Japanese restaurants, Lemongrass adds a Thai twist. Often raved as the best place to grab sushi, the restaurant, located on Barfield Crescent Road, offers delicious rolls and authentic Thai cuisine at reasonable prices.

The work in the presentation of the roll matches its taste, making it a truly memorable sushi experience. The War Cry roll, Spicy Tuna roll and Barfield roll are some of the best, but you really can’t go wrong with any on the menu.

Samurai’s Cuisine

This hibachi grill on North Thompson Lane serves up more than just delicious entrees. They have a plethora of rolls to choose from. If you’re feeling ambitious, try the Nashville roll, which features a variety of fish and avocado.

If you’re a first-time sushi eater, the Chicken Tempura roll with cream cheese is a good starting point to your sushi addiction.

Follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.