“In/finite Earth” exhibit on display in Todd Hall

A nationwide tour of photography, sculpture and painting by young artists with disabilities opened Monday evening at MTSU’s Todd Art Gallery.

“In/finite Earth” features work from fifteen artists between the ages of 16 and 25 with disorders like dyslexia and autism.

The pieces “illuminate [the artists’] innovative viewpoints at the intersection of environmentalism, creativity and disability,” according to a description of the show by the Smithsonian Institute. “‘In/finite Earth’ is a call to artists to engage in the physical, emotional and creative ties we share across our planet, and present their artistic perspectives regarding the natural world, sustainability and our collective future.”

Ceramics major Kelsey Young, who herself has diabetes and dyslexia, called the show “inspiring.”

“The artists having disabilities makes each piece an expression of that disease,” said senior Austin Wood. “I think it challenges the notion of ‘disabilities. While [a disabled artist] may lack in proficiency in one area, their creativity is out of this world.”

“In/finite Earth” will be on display until Oct. 1 in room 224 of Todd Hall.

For a schedule of Todd Art Gallery exhibitions, click here.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com

1. As a student attending Middle Tennessee State University there are mass amounts of intriguing events to attend on campus. It can get quite overwhelming. I am a Visual Communications major, but I find myself quite often in the Todd Building working on my art projects. I never thought my art minor would take up so much time. When I start to get discouraged with my own art I just take a walk around the Todd building. As I walked I noticed an art exhibit called the “In/finite Earth”. I have seen multiple exhibits through out the years of being an art minor, but this one stood out to me. It was different because the art displayed was all from students with disabilities. When we think of a disability we often have this preconceived idea that it affects people to the extent that they are helpless. I think this is wrong. Seeing students with disabilities produce artwork and put it on display was incredible. Their perspectives are unique and eye opening. It showed me how they work through their own disability to create artwork to bring light to what disability really means. If someone with a disability can create beautiful artwork, then I can too. Thank you for inspiring me.