Saturday, February 4, 2023

Tennessee Supreme Court Ignores Appeal in Tina Stewart Murder

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) — The Tennessee Supreme Court says it won’t hear an appeal from a woman convicted of murder in the stabbing death of a Middle Tennessee State University basketball player.

Defense attorney Joe Brandon told the Daily News Journal (on.dnj.com/1mSdDQD) that justices refused to hear the appeal from Shanterrica Madden in the death of her roommate, Tina Stewart. But Brandon told the newspaper that he is prepared to take the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

He says justices need to make decisions on issues including juror questions and how judges can use social media.

The Tennessee Court of Appeals in March reaffirmed Madden’s conviction on charges of second-degree murder and tampering with evidence.

For more campus and community news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter @Sidelines_News.

To contact news editors Max Smith and Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com