MT Soccer Takes Down LA Tech 1-0 on Friday

The MTSU soccer team was victorious tonight against Louisiana Tech, defeating them 1-0. The Blue Raiders notched their first Conference USA victory (1-2) and improved their overall record to 4-6-1.

The Raiders started the game with a plethora of momentum tallying four shots and four corner kicks in the first eight minutes of action. Both teams couldn’t find the net as they went into the half knotted at zero.  The Blue Raiders led the game in shots (10-7), shots on goal (4-3) and corner kicks (6-1).  Grace Summers, Kelsie Roberts, Tori Hawkins and Peyton McCollum all attempted two shots in the first half. Hawkins led the way with two shots on goal.

At the 55 minute mark, Hawkins assisted Summers for a goal and gave the Raiders a 1-0 lead.

MTSU never relinquished that lead and brought home the win. The goal was Summers fifth of the season.

“It’s always great to get a win on the road,” Head Coach Aston Rhoden said in a press release. “I thought we played well tonight and now we will get ready for Southern Miss.”

LA Tech, who leads Conference USA in goals per game (3.67), was shutout by junior goalkeeper Kelsey Brouwer with three saves. Brouwer posted her third shutout and fourth win between the goal posts.

The Blue Raiders picked up their second road victory of the season as they travel to Southern Miss for another Conference USA battle on Sunday at 1 p.m.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport

To contact sports editors Connor Grott and Ritchie Simmons, email sports@mtsusidelines.com