Blue Raiders Grab Narrow Victory over Marshall

MT traveled to Huntington Sunday afternoon to take on Marshall and escaped with a 1-0 victory.

Sophomore midfielder Angie Lai proved to be the hero today as she finished the contest with the lone goal scored. Lai played well in both contests this weekend, posting two goals and an assist. Lai got this goal off of a rebound, her third of the season.

The Blue Raiders had several contributors offensively, including junior forward Grace Summers, junior midfielder Amalie Anderdal and Conference-USA Player of the Week Peyton McCollum. Summers, Anderdal and McCollum combined for eight of MT’s 14 total shots.

Although it was Lai’s goal that ultimately made the difference, the game would not have been won without the help of junior goaltender Kelsey Brouwer.

Earlier this week, Brouwer was awarded with Conference-USA’s weekly honors for her shutouts against FIU and FAU. In addition to the C-USA weekly award, Brouwer was named College Sports Madness C-USA Women’s Soccer Player of the Week.

Brouwer’s performance Sunday afternoon marked her sixth shutout of the year.

The Blue Raiders move to 7-7-2 overall and 4-3-1 in C-USA play with the win against the Thundering Herd and will take on UAB at home Saturday at 5 p.m. for senior night.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport