Nashville Officially Abandons Amp Rapid Bus Transit Proposal

Nashville’s Metro Transit Authority is officially abandoning a $175 million bus rapid transit project that had attracted vocal opposition.

The Tennessean newspaper reports that the panel’s CEO, Steve Bland, says that while the project known as the Amp will not move forward, strategic planning for dealing with Nashville’s rapid growth will get underway soon.

Bland says transit solutions are needed to ensure Nashville doesn’t “lose ground” to its peer cities. In Bland’s words: “We must plan for future growth efficiently.”

Mayor Karl Dean championed the 7-mile bus route on dedicated lanes. But the plan faced stout opposition from some businesses and residents in affluent areas on the western section of the route, and Dean ultimately decided to punt the project to his successor after he leaves office this year.

For more community updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editors Meagan White and Garrett Walker, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com