Plans for George Jones Museum to be Unveiled Monday

Legendary country star George Jones' legacy lives on at MTSU with both a scholarship and a class centered around his life. (FILE/George Jones)

Plans for a museum honoring country music legend George Jones will be unveiled Monday morning in Nashville.

Nancy Jones, the late musician’s widow, will reveal plans for the four-story museum that will be located at 128 and 130 Second Avenue North at what was formerly Graham Central Station. In addition to exhibits honoring Jones’ legacy, the 44,000 square foot complex will also include a restaurant, rooftop bar, gift shop, event space and music venue.

Middle Tennessee State University has strong ties to Jones in the form of a scholarship fund in the three-time GRAMMY winner’s name as well as a recording industry course that focuses on the life and times of “The Possum” himself.

“Nashville is a growing and quickly changing city. It is of the upmost importance that we preserve, celebrate, and share the legacy of people like George Jones that built Music City,” said Assistant Professor Odie Blackmon, who teaches “The Life and Times of George Jones” course. “It seems only right to have a place to honor “The King Of Broken Hearts!” Mrs. Jones has been kind enough to invite the next MTSU George Jones class to visit her and the museum, and I can’t wait!”

Follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Blue Raiders win 82-58 over FAU Owls
Next Blue Raider Kevin Byard Announces Return for 2015 via Twitter