MTSU Appoints Special Advisor for Veterans

MTSU formally welcomed Lt. Gen. Keith M. Huber as senior advisor for veterans and leadership initiatives at a reception in the Tom H. Jackson Building on Thursday.

President Sidney A. McPhee and Provost Brad Bartel led the reception for Huber, a recent retiree from the U.S. Army after almost 40 years of service.

McPhee said Huber will examine the university’s policies and practices for the recruitment and student success of veterans and their family members.

“We are proud that MTSU has been recognized year after year by national publications — such as Military Times and G.I. Jobs Magazine — as being one of the top universities in the U.S. for veteran education,” McPhee said. “But we also recognize that there is much that needs to be done here at our university to better serve this important community.”

Huber’s 38 years of service include command of the Combined Joint Interagency Task Force 435 in Afghanistan. He also served as a company commander, battalion operations officer, brigade and division operations officer, battalion commander and director of civil-military affairs with the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell.

“I am appreciative of this opportunity to continue to serve our veterans,” Huber said. “I acknowledge and admire the True Blue spirit and the current environment at MTSU and how they treat our veterans and their precious family members.”

McPhee stated that Huber’s “vast military experience” and his ability to “tackle and excel in often challenging situations” give him a unique perspective and the necessary assets to help MTSU become a national leader in veteran education.

Huber will reside in the Provost’s office. However, Bartel said, he serves “as a direct adviser to both the president and me as he explores ways for us to become a more valuable resource to veterans and their families.

“We are already meeting regularly and I am very pleased by the strong start he has made in such a short time on campus,” Bartel said.

For more campus updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines, and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editor Meagan White, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com