TBI Releases Crime in Tennessee Report for 2014

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation released its 2014 ‘Crime in Tennessee’ report earlier today.

The annual study compiles data reported from each law enforcement agency in the state.

Some of the report’s findings include:

• Overall, reported incidents dropped in the Group A (counted by offenses) category by 2.4% and by 2.5% in the Group B (counted by arrestees) category.
  • Domestic Violence offenses made up 51% of all offenses in the category of ‘Crimes Against Persons.’
  • Reported murders increased by 9.9% in 2014.
  • Weapon Law Violations decreased by 2.5% in 2014.
  • Law enforcement departments arrested 26,810 for DUI in 2014, representing a 0.4% increase from the previous year.

“We’re extremely thankful for our dedicated law enforcement partners,” said TBI Director Mark Gwyn. “Together, they helped us compile a thorough snapshot of crime in Tennessee. We now hope every department takes this information and works to further address the key crime issues facing their communities and our state.”

For more local crime updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact News Editor Sarah Taylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com