Two Shutouts Propel MTSU to 3-0 Start For First Time Since 2009

By: Keaven Burton // Contributing Writer

Women’s soccer is back in action at Middle Tennessee State University, and the Blue Raiders made their home debut Friday night against Jacksonville State University. Dean Hayes Stadium was brimming with excitement as the 2015 home schedule kicked off. A large contingent of support came from the MTSU Men’s Tennis team, who came out to show their support for their school.

FullSizeRender-8
MTSU Men’s Tennis contingent at the soccer match against Jacksonville State. (Submitted by: MTSU Men’s Tennis via Twitter)

Coming off of a thrilling 1-0 victory in Cookeville over Tennessee Tech, the Blue Raiders were looking to continue their winning ways

The Blue Raiders were off target early in the game, thought they were getting good chances, they just weren’t finding the back of the net. Middle Tennessee finally broke through in the 21st minute, as Cameron Cox put one in the back of the net, her first goal of the season. The Blue Raiders played possession heavy soccer the rest of the first half, allowing only two shots on target from Jacksonville State.

The second half was a back and forth affair, both teams missing multiple opportunities to score. Senior Tori Hawkins finished with four shots, including two on goal, but Cox would be the only Blue Raider to score. The Blue Raiders defense stayed strong to complete the 1-0 shutout.

Looking to carry momentum through the weekend, Middle Tennessee played host to Western Carolina on Sunday afternoon.

The rain fell as the whistle sounded, and made things difficult for the Blue Raiders in the first half. They took a while to find their offensive rhythm, battling sluggishness after just one day of rest. Though they mustered 12 shots in the first half, none ended up in the net, and went into halftime tied at zero.

The weather cleared up in the second half, and the Blue Raiders found a new burst of energy. Still struggling to put shots on target, the Blue Raiders did have more success in the second half. In the 72nd minute, Senior Emily Jorgensen calmly buried a penalty kick to put the Blue Raiders ahead 1-0. Jorgensen’s goal would ultimately decide the game, with the help of solid defense, marking the first 3-0 start for Middle Tennessee since 2009. The Catamounts move to 2-1-1 on the season.

Senior goalkeeper Kelsey Brouwer has shut out all three opponents this season, already four shy of her career high set last year, and was only tested by one shot in the second half.

With the win, the Blue Raiders take a couple days off before heading to Baton Rouge, Louisiana for the LSU Tournament. Play in the LSU Tournament gets underway on Friday, September 4th as the Blue Raiders face off against Indiana.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact sports editor Michael Ward, email sports@mtsusidelines.com