Thursday, June 13, 2024

MTSU attendance policy excuses absences in ‘inclement weather’

School is back in session tomorrow starting at 11:30 a.m., but the roads are still dangerous in some places and the parking garages are both closed for the day, so a lot of commuters aren’t pleased. Luckily, there’s an MTSU policy that basically excuses you from class during ‘inclement weather.’

University policy III:00:02 section I, the general attendance policy, states:

…students shall not be penalized for absences related to their participation in University sanctioned activities or in situations where the institution’s policy on inclement weather is applicable.

The university inclement weather policy, university policy IV:00:03, states:

If students notify the department offices that they are unable to travel to class because of weather conditions, faculty members should help students make up the missed work.

Though Sidelines is not encouraging anyone to play hooky, especially considering Monday, Wednesday, Friday classes haven’t met yet this semester due to official university closings, it is worth noting that the university tends to be understanding and its “commitment to the safety of student, faculty, and staff” has prompted these flexible policies.

If you cannot make it to class or work tomorrow, it is important to note that the general attendance policy also says:

Non-attendance in class does not relieve a student of the responsibility for work covered or assigned in their absence.

For updates and other campus news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines.

To contact news editor Amanda Freuler email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.