MTSU outlasts Tigers in rain-shortened matchup

Story by Tyler Lamb // Staff Writer

Middle Tennessee (8-5) outlasted Memphis (5-5) in Jackson, Tennessee, taking a 3-1 victory after the game was called early due to rain.

MTSU’s Blake Benefield had an infield single in the third to drive in the first score of the game.

This comes a day after the freshman’s first-career home run as a Blue Raider. He finished the night 2-for-3 with an RBI.

Just an inning later would prove to be very eventful.

The Blue Raiders got back on the board again as Aaron Aucker kept the inning alive with a two-out double. Vaughn Shapen’s base hit moments later drove in Aucker to extend the lead 2-0.

Aucker finished the night going 1-for-2 with a run scored, while Shapen ended the game 1-for-2 with an RBI and a run scored.

MTSU standout Riley Delgado came to play once again Wednesday night.

The lead-off hitter’s third hit of the night drove in Shapen, making it 3-0 heading into the fifth inning. Delgado finished his outstanding performance going three for three with an RBI and a run scored.

He also extended his hitting streak to twelve games.

The two runs in the fourth inning proved to be enough for the Blue Raiders.

MTSU starting pitcher Sam Alton (W, 2-0) had another strong showing on the mound.

Alton loaded the bases in the third after a couple of walks. He settled down to get Jake Overbey to fly out to the left field wall which ended the inning, and potential disaster.

Alton allowed just three hits, three walks and one earned run en route to striking out nine Tigers on the night.

Blue Raider reliever Carson Lester was awarded the save when the game was called in the sixth.

After sweeping Memphis in two games, the Blue Raiders will go on the road for their three-game series with Kennesaw State (6-6).

Middle Tennessee will be back in Murfreesboro March 15 for its mid-state matchup with Belmont (6-6).

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or follow him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.