Wednesday, April 24, 2024

New MTSU education center opened on Bell Street

By Kristina Kincer // Contributing Writer | Photo by J. Intintoli

MTSU officially opened the newly renovated Andrew Woodfin Miller Sr. Education Center located on Bell Street during a ribbon cutting ceremony on Monday.

The building is named in honor of MTSU alumnus and Nashville businessman Andrew “Woody” Miller Sr. In 2012, Miller donated $10 million for MTSU to purchase the building on Bell Street that was previously a hospital.

Donations given from Miller were the, “largest outright gift from alum,” MTSU President Sidney McPhee said.

The MTSU center will provide office and educational spaces for the Jennings A. Jones College of Business Center for Executive Education, the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services, the new Center for Chinese Music and Culture and for the University of College.

The new three story building is 126,839 square feet and has 50 faculty and staff offices, seven classrooms, six breakout rooms and two conference rooms. The third floor is expansion space for future program growth and development.

“This building stands as a visible proof to our continued commitment in serving the needs of our citizens, our state, and certainly the region,” McPhee said.

Miller was unable to attend the ceremony, but his two sons, Andrew “Andy” Miller Jr. and Tracy Miller, who is a former MTSU English professor, attended the event in his place along with their cousin Kay Woodfin, her husband Bubba Woodfin and their daughter.

“He wanted to do something that would change the university (MTSU) in a positive way,” Andy Miller, Jr. said about his father. “We’ve been blessed and this is something we can give back.”

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com