Sunday, June 16, 2024

Forrest Hall task force recommends a name change

Photo by Meagan White // Sidelines Archive

The Forrest Hall task force met Tuesday night for their final deliberation before making their recommendation on whether or not to change the name of Forrest Hall.

The task force voted to recommend to president Sidney McPhee that the name be changed.

“With notable opposition, it is the consensus of the committee that the name should be changed,” Chairman Derek Frisby said. “I will transmit that to Dr. McPhee no later than Friday, April 22.”

The 17-member task force made their recommendation after three open forum meetings and two public deliberation meetings.

“It’s been exhausting,” MTSU senior Dalton Winfree said. “It feels good after six months of stalling, but it’s not over yet.”

Their recommendation now has to be approved by McPhee. If McPhee decides to change the name of the hall, the Tennessee Board of Regents will have to approve the decision, at which point the Tennessee Historical Commission will have to approve the name change with a three-fourths majority.

For Forrest Hall updates, follow Sarah Grace Taylor on Twitter

For more news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.