Can John Kasich clinch the GOP nomination?

Photo by Gage Skidmore // Flickr

As the primary election season is winding down, the candidates are seemingly becoming more desperate to reach the White House. This desperation is especially relevant on the Republican side of the campaigns. Surprisingly, this form of desperation has been focused on a new target: Governor John Kasich has come under fire for his continuous existence in the election.

Earlier in April, a video of Donald Trump expressing his thought’s on Kasich’s continuing campaign was released by the Associated Press.

“Honestly Kasich should not be allowed to run,” Trump told reporters at Miss Katie’s Diner in Milwaukee. “He goes to place to place and he keeps running. He doesn’t have to run and take my votes.”

On top of Trump’s vigorous recommendation for Kasich to drop out, Cruz advocated for the governor’s resignation.

“I think any candidate, if you don’t have a clear path to winning, it doesn’t make sense to stay in the race,” Cruz said in an interview with CNN. “And I would note, every day John Kasich stays in the race benefits Donald Trump.”

With the two leading candidates in agreement, both obviously believe they have a problem on their hands. People may be asking why Trump and Cruz seem so intimidated by a man who only won one state. Interestingly enough, Kasich may have a better chance than most believe.

The Republican convention begins July 18, and time is running out for the prospective candidates. For a presidential hopeful to be the definite nominee, they have to receive the votes of 1,237 out of 2,472 delegates. Trump and Cruz have a reason to be nervous. If neither receives this count by July, the process could start all over. In a contested convention, delegates may vote however they see fit, and said delegates may vote for the John Kasich.

Kasich is the only Republican candidate who consistently beats Hillary Clinton in national polls. If Kasich has a chance at the convention, delegates may choose the man who could defeat the Democratic front-runner.

However, there is a rule in place that could stop Kasich from even entering the contest. It is known as the eight state rule for the Republican convention. Basically, if a candidate does not receive the majority of the votes in eight states before the convention, they cannot be nominated. It is still undecided whether this rule will be enforced. As mentioned before, delegates may be interested in keeping Kasich in the election. Ted Cruz voiced his frustration over the rumors of lifting this rule.

“I think it would be a terrible idea for the Washington power brokers to change the rules because they are unhappy with the candidates who the voters are voting for,” Cruz said in an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt.“That is nothing short of crazy.”

While these candidates are targeting Kasich because of their fear of losing their “earned” nomination, Kasich does prove a threat to the GOP. With the possibility of him being lifted to the seat of Republican nominee with just a single state won, this issue suddenly seems bigger. This idea of Kasich winning would absolutely undermine any state of democracy in the Republican Party. Obviously, the American people do not want him in office.

Whether he is a better candidate than Cruz or Trump is no longer the issue. The real issue stems from dismantling the rights of the people. If Kasich becomes the nominee, many could become outraged. A vote from the people should still mean something in America.

What does all that mean for the structure of the Republican Party? After all these years, the “Grand Old Party” may not survive the 2016 election.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com