The Block to screen Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ Wednesday night

Ever since the news of Prince’s death broke on Thursday, fans have sought refuge in of the late musician’s large catalog of recordings, performances and his acclaimed films, primarily Purple Rain.

Local fans will get their chance to pay tribute to Prince when local restaurant/venue The Block, located at 123 SE Broad St., screens the aforementioned 1984 rock drama on Wednesday night.

Purple Rain took the pop culture world by storm upon its release as both a film and soundtrack, which each featuring some of Prince’s biggest hits, including “When Doves Cry,” “Let’s Go Crazy” and the title track. Prince stars as “The Kid,” an up-and-coming frontman with a troubled background, who takes on rival musician Morris Day to maintain his house act slot at a premiere Minneapolis nightclub. Meanwhile, he deals with a strained relationship and coping with an abusive father.

The screening will begin at 9 p.m. with dinner available to purchase beforehand. The event is all ages, and wearing Prince-inspired clothing is encouraged. More information can be found here.

In case you can’t make The Block’s special screening of Purple Rain, the Carmike Wynsong 16 theater, located at 2626 Cason Sq. Blvd., has multiple screenings of the film on Wednesday and Thursday.

Follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.

For more stories and updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles Editor Tanner Dedmon email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.