Alumna hired as MTSU undergraduate recruiting director

Photo courtesy of MTSU News 

Florida native Linda Olsen has already began making a major impact as a new leader in the MTSU Office of Admissions as director of undergraduate recruitment.

A few weeks into her new job, Olsen attended a local community function where she invited a high school student to visit MTSU who was planning on attending another university, according to Murfreesboro resident and a 1964 MTSU alumnus Don Witherspoon.

“After coming to campus and meeting with faculty and administrators, the young lady has decided MTSU is the best place for her,” Olsen said. “She is now committed to her hometown university.”

Witherspoon will replace 2015-16 National Alumni Association President Tony Beard at the beginning of July.

“Don is an alumnus and community member, and it was his guidance along with everyone working together to bring a student to the university,” Olsen said.

A 1998 graduate with a master’s degree in school counseling, Olsen said MTSU “has a sense of a small school with a feel of family.”

Olsen comes to MTSU from Melbourne, Florida, where she served as college-wide director of admissions and advising for Eastern Florida State College.

She and the admissions staff are heavily involved with CUSTOMS orientation for freshmen and transfer students through the end of July. They will also focus on this fall’s annual True Blue Tour across Tennessee, plus stops in Atlanta, Georgia; Huntsville, Alabama; and Bowling Green and Louisville, Kentucky.

Olsen is completing her doctorate in higher education leadership and policy studies with the University of Central Florida. She is also the daughter of Dr. Jim Calder, a professor emeritus in elementary and special education in the MTSU College of Education, and Beverly Calder, an adjunct supervising MTSU student teachers.

For more news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com