Sheriff Robert Arnold asked to resign following investigation

The Rutherford County Commission unanimously approved a resolution asking Sheriff Robert Arnold to resign Thursday night.

Arnold along with his uncle, John Vanderveer, and Joe Russell, the Sheriff’s Office chief of accounting and administration, face a 14-count federal indictment alleging that the three illegally profited off inmates through the sale of electron cigarette through a company called JailCigs. The counts include four counts of money property fraud, five counts of honest services fraud, two counts of bribery concerning programs receiving federal funds, one count of extortion under color of official right, and one count of attempt to tamper with a witness by corrupt persuasion.

Last year, the FBI raided all three of their homes.

The Rutherford County Commission is also speaking with John Bobo, an attorney from Shelbyville, to investigate ouster lawsuits and to inform the commission with what options they have.

Their jury trial is scheduled for 9 a.m. Aug. 2 in Nashville.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com